Pat Coston Movie Reviews

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Deja Vu

I had never heard of this movie but if Denzel Washington was the star, I was going to see it.






Here is my list of favorite Denzel Washington films.

  • The Mighty Quinn
  • Mo' Better Blues
  • Malcolm X
  • The Pelican Brief
  • The Bone Collector
  • Virtuosity
  • Courage Under Fire
  • Training Day
  • John Q
  • Antwone Fisher
  • Out of Time
  • Man on Fire
  • The Manchurian Candidate

Plus I'm a big fan of anything Jerry Bruckheimer is involved in. Here is my list of my favorite Jerry Bruckheimer productions.

  • Young Doctors in love
  • Flashdance
  • Beverly Hills Cop
  • Top Gun
  • Days of Thunder
  • Dangerous Minds
  • Con Air
  • Enemy of the State
  • Gone in Sixty Seconds
  • Coyote Ugly
  • The Amazing Race
  • Pearl Harbor
  • Black Hawk Down
  • CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
  • CSI: Miami
  • CSI: NY
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
  • National Treasure
I love seeing movies in which I know nothing about. The first time I did this was the movie The Hitcher. I was in college and I rode my bike past the theater and saw the movie poster and decided to go see it without any knowledge of what it was about. I was blown away and thought to myself, what a cool way to see a movie ... with no pre-conceptions. Just let everything be a surprise.

I had a similar experience with Deja Vu. Jerry Bruckheimer products like to push technology beyond what is currently possible. You see it in the CSI TV show with their advanced computers that can pull up any info they're looking for.

Enemy of the State featured technology where you could spy on someone from space. This movie took that idea 5 steps further and came up with a technology that will probably never exist. But it was semi-believable since they said they stumbled on it by accident. That I can believe. Many great things have been discovered by accident. If you're actually looking you probably won't find.


I enjoy time-travel films which is another reason why I enjoyed the film.

If you can get past the idea about the technology being way to sophisticated and advanced to be believed then you can enjoy this film. Just keep telling yourself that this technology could be possible if discovered by some fluke.


They never explained how they could pick up audio from the past. They never really explained why it was limited to that area and they never explained why they were recording data from that area before the incident happened (I'm trying not give too much away).

If you think too much you'll realize that a time paradox is created. If he goes back and time to stop the crime then he will never have gone back in time to stop it therefore it will happen therefore he will there he won't ... and you're stuck in an infinite loop which causes the universe to freeze and cease to exist.


But lets just assume that another future is created and either there now exists two parallel realities or the old reality is replaced with the new one.

They spoke of another interesting concept that you cannot change the past because anything you do already happened in the future (or past) in an alternate reality. Denzel's finger prints were found at the crime-scene although he had taken care to wear gloves. That's because he goes back in the past and visits the apartment with no gloves. That sort of makes sense but not if he creates a parallel or alternate reality. Then his finger prints would not show up in that reality.

When he goes back in time he leaves notes for himself in the future. Again, this should not have worked if there are split realities.

OK, I agree that I'm thinking too much but I did manage to turn my brain off and enjoy the film. Afterwards you can have fun picking it apart but the important thing is that you go and enjoy it. Lately I have forgotten to turn my brain off and it prevents me from fully enjoying a film so my advise is think less and enjoy more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home