Pat Coston Movie Reviews

Saturday, January 08, 2011

New Movies in 2011

As of this post there were 5,959 movies listed to be released in 2011. I would assume that is worldwide including all of the Bollywood movies in India for which there are many more made than in Hollywood.

Below is a list of the 2011 movies I (1) definitely want to see (2) maybe want to see (3) definitely don't want to see. I only looked through the first 500 on that list on imdb.com to get ideas for this list.


Science Fiction

  • Cowboys & Aliens- very cool concept. High technology in the wild wild west.
  • Iron Sky - In 1945, the Nazis went to the moon. In 2018 they are coming back.
  • Battle: Los Angeles - Reminds me of Skyline which I also enjoyed and crave for a sequel
  • The Darkest Hour - In Russia, a group of kids struggle to survive after an alien invasion. Yet another alien invasion movie.
  • Source Code - very cool idea about reliving the past in some kind of virtual reality
  • Real Steel - Battlebots made huge
  • Area 51 - some kids happen upon Area 51
  • Super 8 - SciFi written and Directed by JJ Abrams
  • Contagion - some kind of virus break-out movie
  • The Killing Game - A man is forced into the savage world of a modern gladiatorial arena, where men fight to the death for the entertainment of the online masses.
  • The Host - One soul, the Wanderer, is fused with a dying human named Melanie Stryder, in an attempt to locate the last pocket of surviving humans on Earth.
  • The Divide - To survive the end of the world you must first survive each other.
  • Now - In the not-too-distant future the aging gene has been switched off. To avoid overpopulation, time has become the currency and the way people pay for luxuries and necessities
  • The Adjustment Bureau - follow "the plan" or the adjustment bureau will have you "adjusted"
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - based on the book. I love zombie movies and this will be the first 19th century zombie movie I'll have seen.

Comedy

  • The Dilemma - A man discovers that his best friend's wife is having an affair. Vince Vaughn is always funny in my book.
  • Take Me Home Tonight - Follow an aimless college grad who pursues his dream girl at a wild Labor Day weekend party. He, his twin sister and their best friend struggle with their burgeoning adulthood over the course of the night.
  • Jack and Jill - there are like 30 movies with this title. This one stars Adam Sandler so it's probably funny.
  • Wanderlust - An urban couple branch out to live a more counter-culture lifestyle. Stars Jennifer Anniston.
  • LOL - In a world connected by YouTube, iTunes, and Facebook, Lola and her friends navigate the peer pressures of high school romance and friendship while dodging their sometimes overbearing and confused parents.
  • Just Go with It - Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler yet again.
  • Paul - Two British comic-book geeks traveling across the U.S. encounter an alien outside Area 51.

Drama, Action, Mystery and/or Thrillers

  • On the Road - A young man sets out to travel the roads and railways of America. Sounds interesting.
  • Inferno: A Linda Lovelace Story - The story of the adult movie Deep Throat
  • Wrecked - Yet another movie which feels like the TV show "I Should Not Be Alive"
  • K-11 - Kristin Stewart stars. That's good enough for me.
  • Restless - The story of a terminally ill teenage girl who falls for a boy who likes to attend funerals and their encounters with the ghost of a Japanese kamikaze pilot from WWII. There are a lot of movies with this title.
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation - Mel Gibson
  • The Ledge - something about fundamentalist Christians and an atheist escalates into a lethal battle of wills.
  • The Impossible
  • Waco - based on the real incident in Waco Texas
  • Ten - Starring Bruce Willis
  • The Grandmasters - The story of the martial-arts master who trained Bruce Lee.
  • Shadows from the Sky - What if... the pilot about to land your plane has become incapacitated, but you don't know about it. Worse still, neither does he.
  • Number 13 - On the set of his latest production, Alfred Hitchcock is ensnared in a love triangle and murder mystery that echoes the themes of his work.
  • The Beaver - No, it's not based the TV show from the 50s called Leave it to Beaver. It's yet another Mel Gibson movie, this time directed by Jodie Foster.
  • Apollo 18 - A film about the real mission to space in the 1970's that was canceled by NASA.
  • Sucker Punch - Forget the plot. Go see it for the amazing CG effects!
  • Friends with Benefits - The relationship between two friends gets complicated when they decide to get romantic. Same plot as No Strings Attached? Stars Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, Emma Stone and Woody Harrelson.
  • No Strings Attached - there are a lot of movies with this title. Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher. Same plot as Friends with Benefits? Movies seem to come in pairs sometimes.




Sequels

  • A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas - I've loved the Harold & Kumar movies
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules - the first movie was very good
  • Blue Crush 2 - enjoyed the first movie
  • Zombieland 2 - enjoyed the first movie
  • The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - I love the Twilight saga
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - it's finally going to end. Loving it.
  • The Hangover Part II - Loved the first movie.
  • Sherlock Holmes Sequel Part 2 (untitled) - first movie pretty good
  • Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - I like the Mission Impossible movies
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - I've enjoyed all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.


Reboots- I liked the originals so I'll probably see the remakes

  • Footloose
  • Red Dawn
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Battle Royale
  • Rise of the Apes

CG Animation Movies

  • Rango - Awesome animation. I like how the animation was sort of based on the actors acting out the scenes. Johny Depp does the voice for Rango.
  • Kung Fu Panda 2 - Love Jack Black and loved the first movie.
  • Cars 2 - First movie was awesome.
  • Mars Needs Moms - The trailers look pretty good
  • Noah's Ark: The New Beginning - Hmmm ... need to see a trailer.

Super Hero Movies

  • X-Men: First Class - I'll see any comic book movie
  • The Wolverine - I'm into the X-Men movies and all of the spin-offs
  • Green Lantern - Not a big fan of the Green Lantern movie. I don't know how that title has stayed around for so long. As a kid, I thought Green Lantern was stupid. I can't believe the huge universe they've built up behind the Green Lantern.
  • The Green Hornet - Seth Green is hilarious. Looks good.
  • Captain America: The First Avenger - it will be interesting to see how the Avengers will pull together all of the various Marvel Comics franchises into one.
  • Luke Cage - I wasn't a big fan of the Luke Cage comic book but I'll go see it anyway.
  • Thor - I'm not a big fan of Thor but I'll go see it anyway.
  • The Man with the Iron Fist - I'm assuming this is based on the Marvel comic Iron Fist
  • Limitless - A copywriter discovers a top-secret drug which bestows him with super human abilities.

Movies I might see

  • Wild Hogs 2: Bachelor Ride - linked part 1
  • Death Note - saw a bit of the anime. Looked interesting.
  • The Crow - a reboot?
  • Vivid - maybe too creepy for me. A serial killer places his consciousness into the bodies of various individuals in order to experience what it is like to live and die as another person.
  • Them - a remake? One woman's journey to unmask the secret rulers of the world.

Definitely don't want to see

  • Arthur - Reboot. Didn't like the original
  • Conan the Barbarian - Reboot: I'm not into barbarian movies.
  • Straw Dogs - Remake: No interest
  • Scream 4 - Horror: I've seen Scream 1, 2 and 3. I'm done with it.
  • Halloween III - Horror: I've seen every Halloween movie. I'm done with it. Wait, there was already a Halloween III:Season of the Witch movie. Is this like a reboot/remake of one of the sequels??? BTW, Nick Cage stars in a new movie named Season of the Witch which opened yesterday.
  • Paranormal Activity 3 - Horror: No interest
  • Final Destination 5 - Horror: I've seen most of the Final Destination Movies. I'm done with it.
  • Scary Movie 5 - Comedy: I've seen most of the Scary Movies. I'm done with it.
  • Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World - Saw the first Spy Kids. Bored.
  • The Thing
  • Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral - Horror:No interest in any of these movies
  • xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - Action: Saw the first one. Bored.
  • Sleepaway Camp Reunion - Horror: Remake - saw the original. That's enough for me.
  • National Treasure 3 - Action/Drama: Saw the first one. That's enough for me.
  • Happy Feet 2 in 3D - CG Animation: No interest
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair - CG + Real Life - Saw the first movie. Bored. Is this like the 4th movie?
  • Puss in Boots - I'm bored with Shrek and its spin-offs
  • Universal Soldier: A New Dimension - Action: Saw the first movie. It was OK. Unless they can put some new spin on it that interests me, I'm skipping this one.
  • Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 - CG Dogs: No interest in any of these movies
  • Grayskull - Based on He-Man. After my time. No interest
  • S.W.A.T.: Fire Fight - Action/Sequel: Saw the first one. That's enough for me.
  • Pee-Wee-Herman movie (Untitled) - Comedy: First one mildly entertaining. That's enough for me.
  • Super Troopers 2 - Comedy: First one was funny. OK, I might just give this one a try if the trailer looks funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home